The common trend in career changes is people giving up their old job in order to focus on what they love to do. While opening and managing a cafe might seem about as far removed from politics as you can get, Leigh Dall’Osto opened Plan B Cafe in order to keep doing what she’s always wanted to do, even when political avenues closed on her – help bring the people in her community, the town of Edmonton (around fifteen kilometres south of Cairns), together.
In my second location recording, I had the chance to sit down with Leigh at her cafe and talk about just how a cafe can help people get to know others in their own town – and what some of the surprises along the way have been!
Are You Curious?
How did you find another way to reach a goal when your original plan didn’t get you to it?
If You Want to Skip Ahead
- 03:00 – About Plan B Cafe
- 03:53 – Stallholders and Local Connections
- 05:00 – Prior Experience
- 06:10 – Why Plan B Cafe really is Plan B
- 7:30 – Surprises: Cupcakes, Scones and Positive Feedback
- 9:36 – Advice #1: Diversify
- 10:55 – Good People
- 13:04 - Experiments that Didn’t Work Out
- 14:38 – Things Leigh could Do Without
- 16:30 – Things to Try Out in the Future
- 17:47 – Advantages of Being your Own Boss
- 20:55 - What is Leigh Looking Forward to Getting Back Outside Business Hours?
- 23:08 – Advice #2: Flexible Personality and Advertise Before You Open
Plan B Cafe
Edmonton, Qld 4869
- On Facebook
Images from Leigh Dall’Osto’s Facebook profile.